Limit Less for employers
Inspire the next generation. Secure the future of your industry. Energise and engage your employees.
Limit Less is the campaign to support young people to change the world and fulfil their potential by doing physics.
We want to inspire young people from groups under-represented in the physics community to do physics post-16. With your support we can make this happen – and also ensure that organisations like yours thrive in the future.
Evidence shows that a more diverse workforce produces better results. Employers are in danger of missing out on the new generation of talented young people because too many are being discouraged from doing subjects at school that equip them with the vital skills, approaches and mindsets to help them excel in the workplace. Subjects such as physics.
Your future innovation and productivity are at stake and, at a time where diversity and inclusion have never been more vital to get right, young people need you to take action. The IOP is tackling this problem with the Limit Less campaign and you can get involved and benefit your organisation and your employees today and in the future.
Taking action is easy. Here are three ways you can help:
1. You can support your employees to be role models for young people
Young people can’t be what they can’t see – they need role models to bring career pathways to life and demonstrate that people they can relate to are doing amazing jobs in fields that they care about.
Evidence shows that diverse and inclusive organisations are more successful. By supporting your employees to be role models for young people, you are helping to spread positive messages about what they can achieve, boost their aspirations, and showcasing your organisation’s work in the process.
Participating in the campaign will benefit your organisation in the short and long term:
- Raising visibility in local markets
- Demonstrating your commitment to diversity and generating positive PR
- Empowering and developing employees via volunteering
- Investing in the long-term security and productivity of your industry
- Developing a more diverse talent pool and supporting young people to change the world
We’ve partnered with a major online platform, Founders4Schools, to make it easy for your employees to become role models and support young people, with no minimum time commitment and the flexibility that employers need. This could include a wide range of activities from joining virtual careers talks to leading a session in schools, organising a work visit or attending a careers fair. What we need you to do is encourage and support your employees to become role models for their communities – anyone with a physics background (an A-level or equivalent in physics, including technical qualifications) can become a Limit Less Ambassador and help influence young people.
Video: Founders4Schools webinar
2. You can help by including the following campaign messages in your current CSR and outreach work
The five key messages we want everyone to be sharing are:
- Doing physics empowers young people to change the world
- Physics is for people of all identities and backgrounds
- Physics depends on teamwork and diverse viewpoints
- Being a physicist isn’t the only career available to physics students
- Physics opens the door to many stable career options, including well-paid jobs that do not require a degree
Our ever-growing range of resources is available to you to embed within your existing CSR and outreach programmes. If you need further support, our team is delighted to have a chat with you to discuss how you can benefit from being involved. Please contact [email protected].
3. You can promote the Limit Less campaign on social media
We’ve got a selection of ready-to-use social media assets to show your support for the campaign; tweet, insta, post and reel to lend your voice and influence other business leaders and important stakeholders to take action today. Showing your support via social media, your website and through your communications with your customers, clients and peers is a hugely impactful way to be part of this campaign – please do help us to spread the word!
If you would like to discuss any ideas for how you can support the campaign on social media or through your networks, please get in touch at [email protected].