We believe physics can make a better world for us all. This strategy is the IOP’s vision for change, setting out the action we must take to ensure physics can achieve this potential. Over the next five years, in partnership with our members, we will fight for physics skills and science for the benefit of society – to open up a better, braver, brighter future for us all.
Physics for our future: Institute of Physics strategy 2024-2029
The IOP exists to help physics and the physics community deliver on their potential for our lives, our society, our planet.
Together with our members and leaders from the world of physics and beyond, we have identified three priorities which must shape our work over the next five years if we are to achieve our mission. We will, in partnership with members and others in the UK, Ireland and internationally, work single-mindedly towards these three priorities.
Our three priorities
- Skills: Tackling the skills shortage and opening up opportunity
- Science: Strengthening physics across science, research, innovation and technology
- Society: Exploring the social and economic benefits of physics and ensuring they are understood
Our four fundamental principles
To achieve this we will be guided by four fundamental principles which will run through everything we do:
- Member-focused: Members are at our heart and integral to our success.
- Inclusive: Physics must welcome, include and reflect all parts of our diverse society.
- Sustainable: For our environment, our community and our financial foundations.
- Partnership: Working together with partners every step of the way helps us achieve more together and we will deepen our collaboration with IOP Publishing.
“This strategy lays out how we plan to achieve these aims over the next five years. Its focus is simple but important: skills, science and society. But these are not only our priorities - they are also those of our members who have worked with us to identify what needs to be done and how.”
Professor Sir Keith Burnett CBE FRS CPhys FInstP FLSW
Introducing the strategy
Hear from IOP President Professor Sir Keith Burnett, CEO Tom Grinyer and President-elect Professor Michele Dougherty.