Printing and Graphics Science Group
This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
As a special interest, member-driven group, we promote the application of physics in printing and graphics technologies.
The UK is a world leader in printing and graphics. Our objectives are to promote:
- the application of physics in graphics arts technology, printing, packaging and papermaking
- the development of innovative printing in new markets such as displays, lighting and printed electronics
- recognition of the importance of physics in those industries, and to promote physics in these industries as a career choice to graduates
- forums for communication in the scientific community in our industries
Research in printing and graphics technologies is multi-disciplinary. It can be carried out by scientists who may not have physics as a primary discipline in environments where physics is not the focus. Our activities are aimed at a wider community engaged with the development and application of physics.
What the group does
We have strong links with Institute groups in related subjects like:
- polymer physics
- engineering physics
- materials and characterisation
- ion and plasma surface interactions
- liquids and complex fluids
We are interested in the manufacture and properties of paper as a key substrate for printing, and in the physics of packaging. Our interests also include:
- 3D printing
- visual displays
- smart packaging
- flexible electronics
- printed electronics
- visual psychophysics
- electro-optic materials
- graphic arts technology/science
We bring together scientists working in industry, academy and elsewhere, and develop links with professional societies like:
- Colour Group
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Royal Photographic Society
- Institute of Materials Minerals and Mining
- Institute of Paper Printing and Publishing
- Society for Imaging Science and Technology
Group physics prize
Printing and Graphics Science Group Student Presentation Prize
This prize is for the best oral and poster presentation at our annual student conference.
Download the conference report (PDF, 64KB) by group member Tom Mitchell-Williams who was supported to apply for funding from the IOP’s Research Student Conference Fund to attend the 50th anniversary Applied Superconductivity Conference (ASC) in Denver, Colorado.
Find group events on the IOP events site.
Committee and contacts
|Chair||Dr Emma Talbot, MInstP|
|Secretary||Mr Martin Gouch, CPhys FInstP|
|Treasurer||Dr Dilwyn Jones, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Ronan Daly|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Andrew Edwards, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Susanne Klein, FInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Damien Leech, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Leszek Majewski, FInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Fouzia Ouali, CPhys MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Ehab Saleh, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Gary Wells, MInstP|
- Email: [email protected].