Molecular Physics Group
This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
Molecular physics is a flourishing interdisciplinary field of research in the UK, encompassing theoretical and experimental activity in many areas such as:
- solid state physics
- quantum chemistry
- laser chemistry/physics
- molecular reaction dynamics
Molecular physicists work at the interface of physics and chemistry and there is a need to promote and support the chemical physics community.
As a special interest, member-driven group, our aim is to provide a forum for the promotion of this rapidly developing field of physics research. We establish closer links between scientists working at the interface of physics and chemistry, in both academia and industry. We actively pursue contact and collaboration with other societies and groups. All of this promotes the exchange of ideas and developments in the field of molecular physics.
What the group does
Our objectives are to:
- promote the interests of molecular physics in the IOP and the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, as well as in the UK at large
- establish closer links between physicists and chemists
- establish closer links between industrial, governmental laboratory, and academic chemical physicists
- promote the exchange of ideas and developments in the field of molecular physics
- run meetings and workshops covering topical areas of molecular physics, which cut across traditional disciplines
- promote joint meetings with Royal Society of Chemistry subject groups and arrange more formal ties to these groups
- liaise with other interest groups in molecular physics, like those in the German, Japanese and American physical societies
- Newsletter, March 2021 (PDF, 807KB)
- Newsletter, August 2018 (PDF, 478KB)
- Newsletter, December 2013 (PDF, 400KB)
Committee and contacts
|Chair||Dr Nicholas Walker, MInstP|
|Secretary and Treasurer||Mx Charlotte Vale, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Nicola Black, CPhys MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Miss Ashleigh Davidson, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Mr Gary Hayes, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Michael Parkes, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Natércia Rodrigues Lopes, MInstP|
- Email: [email protected]