Materials and Characterisation Group
This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
As a special interest, member-driven group, we encourage activities focused on materials and material characterisation. Our large and multidisciplinary membership includes national and international academics, industrialists and governmental research organisations.
Broadly, our interests cover:
- properties and application of materials, old and new
- manufacture, modification and extraction of materials
- all types of material characterisation including:
- development of materials characterisation techniques and applications
What the group does
We organise and support meetings that reflect these interests in the physics community.
Early Career Prize for the Best Presentation at the Recent Appointees in Materials Science Meeting
This prize is for the best poster presented by an early career researcher and lead author at the annual Recent Appointees in Materials Science Meeting (RAMS).
Find out more about the Early Career Prize, including previous winners.
Materials and Characterisation Group Poster Prize
This prize is for the best poster presented by a student and lead author at the annual Photovoltaic Science, Application and Technology Conference.
Find out more about the Group Poster Prize, including previous winners.
WATCH NOW: Christmas Lecture – The Curious Incident of the (Robot) Dog in the Nuclear Environment
Find out more and watch on demand.
NuFor 2020: Nuclear Forensics Conference
In light of recent developments, this event has now been postponed until 13-14 October 2021.
Find our other events for the Materials and Characterisation Group
Our newsletter includes:
- reports on our recent activities
- feedback from students who have had financial help to attend conferences
- news on the Materials and Characterisation Group community
Email [email protected] to contribute to the newsletter.
- Newsletter, April 2020 (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Newsletter, April 2019 (PDF, 93KB)
- Newsletter, April 2018 (PDF, 1.07MB)
- Newsletter, January 2017 (PDF, 1.54MB)
- Newsletter, November 2014 (PDF, 804KB)
- Newsletter, October 2013 (PDF, 615KB)
- Newsletter, December 2011 (PDF, 669KB)
- Newsletter, May 2010 (PDF, 462KB)
Committee and contacts
|Chair||Dr Giles Aldrich-Smith, MInstP|
|Secretary||Dr Andrew Pollard, CPhys MInstP|
|Treasurer||Dr Thomas Hase, CPhys MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Jason Corbett, CPhys FInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Miss Ashleigh Davidson, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Richard Day, CPhys FInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Francesco Enrichi, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Marina Leontiadou, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Catalin Pruncu, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Kerrie Smith, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Ben Spencer, MInstP|
|Early Career Physicist||Ms Eleonore Cassandra Poli, MInstP|
Email: [email protected]