Materials and Characterisation Group
This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
As a special interest, member-driven group, we encourage activities focused on materials and material characterisation. Our large and multidisciplinary membership includes national and international academics, industrialists and governmental research organisations.
Broadly, our interests cover:
- properties and application of materials, old and new
- manufacture, modification and extraction of materials
- all types of material characterisation including:
- development of materials characterisation techniques and applications
What the group does
We organise and support meetings that reflect these interests in the physics community.
UKSAF Crossley Award
The Crossley Award is for the best presentation from an industry-based researcher, an academic collaboration with industrial partners or project with demonstrable industry impact, at the UK Surface Analysis Forum (UKSAF) Summer Meeting.
IOP Materials and Characterisation Christmas Lecture 2023: ‘Unlocking the past: X-ray imaging in the British Museum’
13 December 2023, online and at the Institute of Physics, 37 Caledonian Road, London, UK
ONLINE: Materials and Characterisation Seminar Series webinar
2 November 2023
NuFor: Nuclear Forensics
10-12 October 2023, Mary Ward House Conference and Exhibition Centre, London, UK
Image-Based Simulation for Industry 2023 (IBSim-4i 2023)
9-13 October 2023, Institute of Physics, London, UK
Our newsletter includes:
- reports on our recent activities
- feedback from students who have had financial help to attend conferences
- news on the Materials and Characterisation Group community
Email [email protected] to contribute to the newsletter.
- Newsletter, April 2020 (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Newsletter, April 2019 (PDF, 93KB)
- Newsletter, April 2018 (PDF, 1.07MB)
- Newsletter, January 2017 (PDF, 1.54MB)
- Newsletter, November 2014 (PDF, 804KB)
- Newsletter, October 2013 (PDF, 615KB)
- Newsletter, December 2011 (PDF, 669KB)
- Newsletter, May 2010 (PDF, 462KB)
Committee and contacts
|Chair||Dr Giles Aldrich-Smith, MInstP|
|Secretary||Dr Andrew Pollard, CPhys MInstP|
|Treasurer||Dr Thomas Hase, CPhys MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Jason Corbett, CPhys FInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Miss Ashleigh Davidson, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Richard Day, CPhys FInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Francesco Enrichi, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Marina Leontiadou, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Catalin Pruncu, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Kerrie Smith, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Ben Spencer, MInstP|
|Early Career Physicist||Ms Eleonore Cassandra Poli, MInstP|
Email: [email protected]