Astroparticle Physics Group
This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
As a special interest, member-driven group, we recognise the need for distinct UK representation in this rapidly expanding field.
Astroparticle physics is multidisciplinary and topics include but are not limited to:
- dark matter
- gravitational wave
- neutrinoless double beta decay
- cosmic ray physics
- nuclear astrophysics
- neutrino and gamma-ray astronomy
- multi-messenger astronomy
What the group does
Our activities include:
- acting as a representative forum for discussion and contact to the astroparticle physics community in the UK and Ireland
- organisation of an annual general meeting for the astroparticle physics community
- producing and circulating a community newsletter
- providing support for half-day meetings
- recognition of outstanding work in astroparticle physics, rewarded with bi-annual early-career and thesis prizes
Group prizes and competitions
We have two astrophysics prizes:
- Our IOP APP Early Career Prize is awarded on odd years.
- Our IOP APP Thesis Prize is awarded on even years.
The prize is £250 and a certificate.
APP of the Day contest winners
This contest showcases the great work being done by astroparticle physics PhD students.
- Newsletter, December 2021 (PDF, 1.8KB)
- Newsletter, December 2020 (PDF, 1.38MB)
- Newsletter, December 2019 (PDF, 6MB)
- Newsletter, December 2018 (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Newsletter, December 2016 (PDF, 711KB)
- Newsletter, January 2014 (PDF, 528KB)
Committee and contacts
|Dr Teppei Katori, MInstP
|Dr Christopher McCabe, MInstP
|Dr Cheryl Patrick, MInstP
|Mr Richard Bloodworth, CPhys MInstP
|Professor Garret Cotter, MInstP
|Dr Praveen Kumar Dhankar, MInstP
|Dr Ian Harry
|Mr Aditya Naik
|Dr Athoy Nilima, MInstP
|Dr Matt Roth, MInstP
|Early Career Physicist
|Mx Rogan Clark, MInstP
- Email: [email protected]