Astroparticle Physics Group
This is an IOP special interest group, which is a community of IOP members focused on a particular discipline, application or area of interest.
Special interest groups allow members to connect and share knowledge and ideas. The IOP funds groups to deliver a range of activities including events, prizes and bursaries. All of our groups are driven by members.
About the group
As a special interest, member-driven group, we recognise the need for distinct UK representation in this rapidly expanding field.
Astroparticle physics is multidisciplinary and topics include:
- direct and indirect detection of dark matter
- cosmic ray physics
- neutrinoless double beta decay
- cosmological neutrinos
- nuclear astrophysics
- neutrino and gamma ray astronomy
- dark matter
What the group does
Our activities include:
- acting as a representative forum for discussion and contact to the astroparticle physics community in the UK and Ireland
- organisation of an annual general meeting for astroparticle physics community
- producing and circulating a community newsletter
- providing support for half-day meetings
- recognition of outstanding work in astroparticle physics, rewarded with bi-annual early-career and thesis prizes
Group prizes and competitions
We have two astrophysics prizes:
- Our IOP APP Early Career Prize is awarded on odd years.
- Our IOP APP Thesis Prize is awarded on even years.
The prize is £250 and a certificate.
APP of the Day contest winners
This contest showcases the great work being done by astroparticle physics PhD students.
Find group events on the IOP events site.
- December 2020 (PDF, 1.38MB)
- December 2019 (PDF, 6MB)
- December 2018 (PDF, 2.2MB)
- December 2016 (PDF, 711KB)
- January 2014 (PDF, 528KB)
Make a nomination for one of our prizes.
Committee and contacts
|Chair||Dr Teppei Katori, MInstP|
|Secretary||Professor Garret Cotter, MInstP|
|Treasurer||Dr XinRan Liu, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Professor Giles Hammond, FInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Miss Rebecca Humble|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Matt Roth, MInstP|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Paul Scovell|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Joseph Walding, MInstP|
|Student Representative||Mr Glen Kiely|
|Student Representative||Mr Samuel Spencer, MInstP|
- Email: [email protected]