- 1928 Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman discovers the inelastic scattering of photons, which would become known as the Raman Effect
- 1997 A flash of gamma rays strikes the Earth for 80 seconds and was followed by an afterglow in a galaxy 8.1bn lightyears away, providing the first evidence that gamma-ray bursts occur far outside our own galaxy
- 2007 The New Horizons space probe flies past Jupiter on its way to Pluto
- 1930 Birth of Leon Neil Cooper, who developed a theory explaining superconductivity along with John Bardeen and John Robert Schrieffer, for which the trio were awarded the Nobel Prize in 1972
- 1939 Birth of Daniel C Tsui, the solid-state physicist awarded the 1998 Nobel Prize for discoveries relating to the quantum Hall effect
- 1948 Birth of Steven Chu, the 12th US Secretary of Energy and winner of the 1997 Nobel Prize for cooling and trapping atoms with laser light
Advanced Digital Imaging Laboratory Using MATLAB®
Listen to the IOP ebooksTM webinar with Professor Leonid Yaroslavsky.
Six months in, and 80% of UK library services sign up to Access to Research
10 million academic articles, including content from IOP Publishing, now included in the initiative.