Menu Close

IOPConnect

Log in to personalise your experience and connect with IOP.


Cosmic Dust


Speaker: Dr Penelope Wozniakiewicz, University of Kent

It’s estimated that between 20 and 40 thousand tonnes of extraterrestrial dust, or cosmic dust, arrives at the Earth each year. Although about 90% of this is thought to burn up in the atmosphere, the remaining 10% is believed to reach the ground. But what can these particles tell us? And how do we even go about collecting and studying them? In this talk, we will describe efforts to collect cosmic dust, explain how we can study this phenomenal sample set and interpret results to learn more about the solar system and our place in it.

There has been a lot of media attention about this work recently, more information can be found here. This is your chance to hear more about it from the scientists leading the team.

This is the first in a series of evening talks on physics and astronomy at the University of Kent in Canterbury. For a list of upcoming talks and dates, please visit the website.

Part of the IOP London and South East (LSE) region autumn/winter 2023/24 Physics Talks Series.

The lecture is free and open to all but registration is required. Please register via the Book Now button.