Email discussion lists: Terms and Conditions
References to 'IOP' mean the Institute of Physics. References to 'this LISTSERV” are to the IOP listserv to which you are subscribing, which subscription is subject to these terms and conditions (the “Terms”). IOP may amend or add to the Terms without notice.
Please read this document carefully. By reading or posting comments to this LISTSERV, you are agreeing to be bound by all of the Terms. The Terms were last updated on 24 March 2010.
The Terms are intended to supplement, and not supersede, the general terms and conditions for IOP web sites which can be obtained via http://www.iop.org/terms/index.html.
Using this LISTSERV
This LISTSERV is a discussion list open to all with a professional interest in the teaching and learning of physics. The list is designed to provide a reasonable pool of wisdom for tapping into, a sensible receptacle for your tips and tricks, a source of data collection when faced with benchmarking and a useful virtual soapbox for your opinions.
If you use this LISTSERV, you alone are responsible for the content of your messages and any consequences which arise from them. By using this LISTSERV, you agree to the following:
1. You are over 18 years of age or, if under that age, you have the consent of your parent/guardian to use this LISTSERV.
2. Any information you provide as part of your use of this LISTSERV shall be true, accurate and complete.
3. You shall only use this LISTSERV for personal use and not for commercial purposes (for example, to promote a company, product or service or to recruit staff) unless you have IOP’s prior written consent.
4. You shall not use this LISTSERV to send chain letters, junk mail, “spam”, solicitations (whether commercial or non-commercial) or any kind of bulk communications. If an individual puts their e-mail address or other contact details in their message, you shall only use them for the purpose intended by that person and you shall not pass on those contact details to a third party without that person’s prior consent and/or the prior consent of IOP.
5. If you use this LISTSERV to arrange to meet someone then you do so solely at your own risk and IOP cannot accept any liability for any consequences which result.
6. You shall not post to this LISTSERV, or use this LISTSERV to publish, send or distribute, any message or material (in any media or form) that is, or could be construed as: (i) unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, threatening, racially, sexually or otherwise discriminatory, offensive or inaccurate; (ii) in breach of confidence or a third party’s intellectual property rights; (iii) objectionable; (iv) encouraging or engaging in conduct that could amount to a criminal offence; (v) giving rise to civil liability or otherwise in violation of any local, national or international laws or regulations; or (vi) having a negative influence or impact on IOP.
7. You shall not impersonate any other person or entity, whether they are real or fictitious.
8. You shall not use this LISTSERV in a way that could cause this LISTSERV, or any IOP web site, to be interrupted, damaged, made less efficient or in such a way as could damage the operation of any computer.
9. You shall indemnify and hold each of IOP, its group companies and its employees, harmless from any claim or demand, including, but not limited to, solicitors’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of this LISTSERV, your breach of the Terms or your infringement of any intellectual property right or other right of any other person or entity.
Rights of IOP
10. IOP reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to edit, alter, delete or remove any material posted to, appearing on or distributed by you or IOP.
11. IOP may, at any time and without notice, close any discussion on this LISTSERV if, in its sole discretion, it considers that discussions are or may become inappropriate.
12. IOP shall be entitled to restrict, suspend or terminate access to this LISTSERV, or take such action as it deems appropriate, if it determines, in its sole discretion, that you are in breach of any of the Terms or that your use of this LISTSERV is inappropriate or otherwise unacceptable.
13. The restriction, suspension or termination of your access to this LISTSERV shall be without prejudice to any rights which IOP may have against you regarding your breach of the Terms.
14. IOP shall be entitled to disclose your identity and details if required or requested by the courts or other law enforcement authorities and/or agencies or in such other circumstances as IOP, in its sole discretion, considers necessary or appropriate.
Disclaimer 16 The terms of IOP's Disclaimer are incorporated within the Terms. http://www.iop.org/Disclaimer/index.html
17. The terms of IOP’s Copyright statement are incorporated within the Terms. http://www.iop.org/Copyright/page_2141.html
18. Any failure or delay by IOP to enforce your performance of any of the Terms, or to exercise any right under the Terms, shall not be construed as a waiver of any of IOP’s rights.
19. The Terms, and the documents incorporated expressly within them by reference, constitute the entire understanding between you and IOP as to your use of this LISTSERV and supersede all prior agreements and understandings between you and IOP.
20. English law governs the Terms and the English courts have exclusive jurisdiction to determine any disputes.
If you have any questions or comments about the Terms, you should contact:
Group Legal Adviser
Institute of Physics
76 Portland Place
Tel: +44 (0)20 7470 4800
Fax: +44 (0)20 7470 4848