Undergraduate training

If you don’t have a degree, there are two options you can consider. You can start a non-teaching degree in physics or a related subject, and then enrol in a postgraduate training course. Alternatively, you can start a degree course that also gives you qualified teacher status (QTS).

Some higher-education institutions provide Physics with QTS courses for undergraduates. Courses can also be known as Physics with Education or Physics with Teacher Training. These courses embed education material and school experience within the physics course, giving you the subject knowledge and skills to teach physics.

This course usually lasts three or four years, full time.

This course will normally lead to a BSc with QTS or a BEd.

As with other undergraduate degrees, if you’re a home student you will be eligible for a student loan and maintenance on your first higher-education course.

Physics with QTS undergraduates can also access a £9,000 bursary in their final year of university. Find out more at Get Into Teaching.

As an undergraduate, you might also be eligible for the Future Teaching Scholars programme, which provides a £15,000 grant and a guaranteed place on a salaried teacher training course after graduation. Find out more at Future Teaching Scholars.  

For a list of institutions offering Physics with QTS courses, search the UCAS website. Applications are submitted online via UCAS.

Cookie Settings