University-led training

Training to teach physics with a university provider will lead to Qualified to Teach Status (QTS) as well as a Postgraduate Certificate in Education / Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).

Undergraduate route
If you don’t already have a degree, you can start a degree that also gives you QTS. It takes four years, full time and at the end you will have a BEd or BSc with QTS.

Postgraduate university-led route
If you already have an undergraduate degree in physics or a relevant subject, you can study for a PGCE at a higher-education institution. This takes one year full time, or two years part time.  

Related information


Physics teacher training

An insight into a PGCE Physics course

Helping you apply

The National College for Teaching and Leadership Information about teacher training

UCAS Teacher Training Apply for teacher training

Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) Undergraduate applications

Teach First


Teacher training - career changers

A guide for career changers

Teacher training - engineering graduates

A guide for engineering students and graduates

IOP Teacher Training Scholarship

£28k funding and support for your teacher training year

Love Physics

Guide to teacher training

It's not too late to apply

Use your knowledge every day to teach physics

Cookie Settings