Routes into physics teaching

To be a physics teacher in a UK maintained school you need to have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

This infographic displays your options for Initial Teaching Training (ITT).


University-led training
Training to teach physics with a university provider will lead to a Postgraduate Certificate in Education or a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). Find out more about university-led training 

School-led training 
School-led teacher training is delivered by school partnerships and enables you to train on the job. Find out more about school-led training.

Related information


Physics teacher training

An insight into a PGCE Physics course

Helping you apply

The National College for Teaching and Leadership Information about teacher training

UCAS Teacher Training Apply for teacher training

Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) Undergraduate applications

Teach First


Teacher training - career changers

A guide for career changers

Teacher training - engineering graduates

A guide for engineering students and graduates

IOP Teacher Training Scholarship

£28k funding and support for your teacher training year

Love Physics

Guide to teacher training

It's not too late to apply

Use your knowledge every day to teach physics

Cookie Settings