Are you eligible?
If you have the academic and personal qualities that will enable you to excel in the world of physics education we want you to apply.
To apply you will need to:
- Have a physics, engineering or mathematics degree or have a conditional PGCE offer subject to completing a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course in physics.
- An excellent, proven (or predicted) academic record with a first or 2.1 degree; or hold a PhD or Masters degree or recognised equivalent.
- Have an excellent understanding of school-level physics.
- Have an excellent ability to explain physics ideas at school-level.
- Have an interest in physics education.
- Possess the qualities required to be an inspirational teacher of physics.
- By September 2014 secure your training place on an eligible PGCE or School Direct (non-salaried) physics or physics with maths course in England for the 2014/15 academic year.
- Be eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company.
- Meet the bursary eligibility criteria as set out in the National College for Teaching and Leadership's bursary guidance
The criteria for funding of scholarships matches the criteria set by the Department for Education for all training bursary funding. Please note only one application is permissible per academic year.
You will need to be qualified as a home student for the purpose of paying tuition fees by your training provider.
One way in which you can be classified as a home student is by having been resident in the UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the past three years and having the right to live in the UK or EEA without any visa restrictions.
Further information to see if you meet the criteria, or other ways in which you can qualify as a home student can be found here. Advice for EU applicants applying to physics teacher training can also be found here.
If in doubt, it would be a good idea to apply for your course early so that you can get a definite answer from your training provider on whether you are eligible to take up a training place.
This application deadline is for round six of eight. Please check this page regularly for up to date information about application deadlines.
Please note, if your application is shortlisted you will be expected to attend an Assessment Day on one of the following dates:
There will be further application rounds throughout the academic year. If you are awarded a scholarship it will replace the government bursary you will receive. It is not an additional award.