University of York

Name of project coordinator:
Dr Alison Laird

Size of groups:

Year in which students will carry out the project:
Third (final) year.

Description of the Group Industrial Project activity:

At York, the Group Industrial Projects will be offered as part of the existing BSc group project module during the final year of the BSc degree programme. All BSc students undertake group projects. Typically between 2 and 4 students will work together on a single project.

The module will be assessed by an individual final report and oral exam, jointly worth 60% of the mark, with the remaining 40% coming from assessment of the project notebook, and general progress and engagement with the project, as assessed by the project supervisor. Additional a Professional Skills component will be assessed. Here the students, within their project groups, must jointly prepare a presentation, a poster, a newspaper article and a podcast, on the physics behind the project, at a level appropriate for different outreach audiences. The skills component also includes a peer assessment aspect.

This scheme will also allow the introduction of some additional training with an employability element, such as project management lectures, to the benefit of all BSc project students.

Cookie Settings