Higher education and research
The Institute promotes the interests of physics departments in universities:
- Through its work with the Standing Conference of Physics Professors, the body which represents heads of physics departments in the UK and Ireland
- Through its comprehensive web based guide to physics research in the UK, Research Fields in Physics, and its publication MSc and Postgraduate Diploma Courses in Physics and Related Areas
- By maintaining a substantial database of statistics relating to physics education in the UK
- By representing the views of the physics community when responding to government consultations into higher education
- By publishing its own reports on issues of current concern
- By monitoring the standard of undergraduate physics degrees through its degree accreditation programme.