School Grants Scheme
Grants of up to £600 for projects, events and activities that promote a greater interest in physics and engineering in young people.
The Scheme is run jointly by the Institute of Physics, Institution of Engineering & Technology and the Science & Technology Facilities Council.
We particularly encourage applications for projects that look at:
- particle physics
- space and nuclear physics
- information and communications
- design and promotion
- built environment
Grants can be used to cover the following costs associated with your project:
- materials and resources
- marketing and publicity
- other purposes deemed appropriate by the judges
- supply cover (in certain circumstances)
We welcome proposals that demonstrate a high level of cost effectiveness.
Who can apply
Schools, colleges or home school groups based in the UK and Ireland.
How much you can apply for
- You can apply for up to £600. We will not normally fund projects if our contribution is a small proportion of your project costs.
- If you are applying for a grant for a bought-in activity or show, your application will be stronger if you integrate those activities with a wider project.
- You must submit your application yourself and not via a third party provider.
- Your application must be unique and applicable to your school, college or home school group. We will not accept cloned or copied applications.
- Your application must be for costs associated with a new project. We will not fund costs for sustaining an existing project or a repeat application.
- Your project must directly involve pupils. We will not fund activities such as teacher CPD.
- Your project must add value over and above basic curriculum requirements. We will not fund equipment or materials needed for lessons to deliver the curriculum.
- If you have applied for and received a grant within the last three years, you will need to complete and return an evaluation form (PDF, 615KB) alongside your application.
How to apply
- Applications for the School Grants Scheme are made via the IOP awards platform.
- Allow up to five weeks from the closing date for a decision.
Deadlines for applications
- 1 February (for projects taking place in the following summer term)
- 1 June (for projects taking place in the following autumn term)
- 1 November (for projects taking place in the following spring term)
Email: [email protected]