Early Career Researchers Fund
This fund provides financial support for early career researchers to attend international meetings and visit international facilities. Our aim is to broaden your professional development and maximise your potential.
Who can apply
- Early career researchers in the first three years of paid employment in industry or academia. This could be full or part time employment. The qualifying period excludes career breaks.
- Your primary role should be research or the application of physics.
- You must be a member of the Institute and the event you wish to attend must relate to the group you are a member of. Find out more about joining our free groups.
How much you can apply for
You can apply for up to £300.
- We will usually cover only part of the expense of attending a conference.
- This funding is intended to supplement funding from other sources.
- If you work for industry, the value of our support must be matched by funding from your employer or a third party.
Our groups have limited funds for bursaries and you may not receive the full amount you ask for. If you are not awarded the full amount, you can apply for further support for a different conference, up to a total of £300 a year.
We will consider funding for international IOP-organised events. Meetings organised by our groups are not covered by this funding because these are already subsidised by the Institute.
How to apply
We consider applications on a quarterly basis after each of the following deadlines. Please send your application before:
- 1 March
- 1 June
- 1 September
- 1 December
Your application must reach us by the deadline that is at least three months before the conference you plan to attend. For example, for an event taking place in July, your application should reach us by 1 March.
We strongly recommend you apply as soon as possible. You do not need to know the outcome of an abstract submission to apply. We will make a decision within eight weeks of each closing date. If you do not hear from us after eight weeks, please do get in touch.
The Institute manages the application process and the relevant IOP group awards the bursary and decides its value. Please tell us the name of the group that you would like to consider your application.
We ask you to send us a report after the event. Grants are only made once the report has been received.
Email: [email protected]