CR Barber Trust
This fund is for PhD students who want to attend an overseas conference. You can use the grant for any part of conference attendance including:
- registration fees
Who can apply
- This fund is for research students who are also IOP members. It does not support post-doctoral researchers or taught master’s students.
- You must attend an overseas conference of international standing, relative to where you live. You may not use this grant to attend a conference in your own country.
- We normally accept up to two applicants from each college or university to attend the same conference.
- Previous recipients of a grant from the CR Barber Trust Fund are not eligible for further funding.
How much you can apply for
Grants depend on the location of the conference. Examples of awards to applicants from the UK and Ireland are below. Awards to overseas applicants may be different.
- £100 for conferences in Europe
- £175 for conferences in the US or Canada
- £300 for conferences in the rest of the world
We will usually cover only part of the expense of attending a conference. This funding is intended to supplement funding from other sources.
How to apply
You can apply at any time and should apply at least one month before the date of the proposed conference.
Bursaries are paid as a reimbursement of expenses properly incurred. Any travel is undertaken at the sole risk of the bursary recipient. The IOP has no liability in the event that travel is not possible, or is curtailed, or if the event you are attending is cancelled, postponed or abandoned, whether due to COVID-19 rules and restrictions, or any other reason. If you do not undertake your booked travel, the IOP reserves the right not to pay the bursary.
Recipients of bursaries should ensure that they have adequate travel insurance to cover situations where they are unable to travel, or have to change their travel plans, due to COVID-19 rules and restrictions, or due to any other reasons, and are therefore able to reclaim any expenses.
The IOP recommends that the risk of COVID-19 and other risks at all destinations, including transit countries, should be considered alongside the risks during the travel itself when deciding whether to apply for a bursary.
Latest government information on COVID-19:
Email: [email protected]