The Bell Burnell Graduate Scholarship Fund is for full- or part-time graduates wishing to study towards a doctorate in physics and from groups that are currently underrepresented in physics.
Watch the video below to hear from Jocelyn on why the fund was set up, why people should apply and other ways to be involved.
Meet the 2023 awardees
We're delighted to reveal the nine awardees of the 2023 Bell Burnell Graduate Scholarship Fund. They are:
Read more and find out about our past awardees
Video: the impact of the fund
Jocelyn and some of the awardees talk about the impact the fund is making.
Find out more about the fund’s impact in this piece by selection panel chair Professor Helen Gleeson.
About Jocelyn Bell Burnell
The fund is made possible thanks to Professor Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell’s generous donation of her £2.3m Breakthrough Prize.
Read the Physics World interview:
Jocelyn Bell Burnell reveals the motivations behind her new $3m graduate-student fund
Who can apply
The fund is for full- or part-time graduates wishing to study towards a doctorate in physics, from groups that are currently underrepresented in physics.
How to apply
Applications for 2023/2024 are now open. Apply now. You can view a sample application form (PDF, 332KB) to give you an idea of what to expect.
The deadline for applications is Friday 19 January 2024.
You can also email [email protected] for further information or you can register your interest in the fund to receive further updates as they become available.
2023/2024 grants calendar
- 3 October 2023 – Fund is open for applications
- 5 December 2023 – Panel Q & A session with public (virtual)
- 19 January 2024 – Application submission deadline
- 22 January-16 February 2024 – Grants Manager review for eligibility (Stage 1)
- 19-29 February 2024 – Stage 1 unsuccessful applicants notified
- 19 February-11 March 2024 – Panel’s assessment of eligible applications and shortlisting (Stage 2)
- 12-18 March 2024 – Stage 2 unsuccessful applicants notified
- 8 April 2024 – Panel interviews shortlisted applicants and selects awardees (Stage 3)
- End of April 2024 – All interview candidates notified of outcome
Frequently asked questions
Visit our FAQ page for further details about the fund.
You can also find further information for students and prospective host universities/institutions below.
How the fund is administered
The fund is administered and managed by the IOP and supported by a panel that reviews qualifying applicants and selects those to be funded. Find out more about how the fund is administered.
Other sources of funding
For other sources of funding, studentships and scholarships that you may be eligible for, please see the links below: