The Faraday medal
In 2008 Council decided to establish the Faraday medal of the Institute of Physics.
This had been known previously as the Guthrie Medal and Prize.
Originally this had been the Guthrie Lecture which was instituted by the Council of The Physical Society in 1914 in memory of its founder, Professor Frederick Guthrie.
In 1965 the Council of the Institute and Society decided that, in view of the changed conditions since the lecture was established, this, the senior award within its gift, should be changed to a Medal and Prize.
The first award was made in 1966. In 1992 the Council decided that the Guthrie medal and prize should become one of its Premier Awards and and then from 2008 that it should be one of its Gold medals and be known as the Faraday medal of the Institute of Physics.
The award will be made annually, for outstanding contributions to experimental physics, to a physicist of international reputation in any sector. The medal will be silver gilt and will be accompanied by a prize of £1000 and a certificate.