- 1893 Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio
- 1896 Radioactivity is discovered by Henri Becquerel
- 1966 The Soviet Union’s Venera 3 space probe become the first to land on another planet when it crashes on Venus
- 1943 Birth of Richard H Price, the general-relativist known for his eponymous theorem that any inhomogeneities in the geometry of the spacetime around a black hole will be radiated away
- 1943 Birth of Rashid Sunyaev, known for his predictions of inverse Compton scattering in the cosmic microwave background radiation, along with Yakov Zel’dovich
Impact Factor success
The 2012 Impact Factors once again show significant growth for many of the journals published by IOP Publishing.
New physicsworld.com service helps to connect research with industry
Physics Connect, an online innovation service that aims to bridge the gap between academia and industry, has been launched on physicsworld.com.