- 1882 The UK’s first electric tram begins running in east London
- 1890 The Forth Bridge, the longest in Britain, is opened
- 1986 The Soviet space probe Vega 1 returns the first ever images of the nucleus of Halley’s Comet
- 1862 Birth of Robert Emden, who first developed a mathematical model of the structure of stars
- 1866 Birth of Eugène Cosserat, known for his studies of surface mechanics
- 1904 Birth of George Gamov, the theoretical physicist who discovered alpha decay and who worked in areas including star formation, the cosmic microwave background, and nucleosynthesis in stars and in the Big Bang
- 1944 Birth of Anthony Ichiro Sanda, the particle physicist known for his work on CP violation
- 1947 Birth of John Hinch, known for his work on fluid dynamics
Advanced Digital Imaging Laboratory Using MATLAB®
Listen to the IOP ebooksTM webinar with Professor Leonid Yaroslavsky.
Six months in, and 80% of UK library services sign up to Access to Research
10 million academic articles, including content from IOP Publishing, now included in the initiative.