Join a community of more than 50,000 members who share a passion for physics.
Our members come from diverse backgrounds and follow all kinds of career paths. From enthusiastic amateurs to those at the top of their fields in academia, business, education and government, membership of the IOP is for anyone who shares our ambition of increasing awareness of the importance of physics in government, education and industry.
Membership of the IOP is for anyone with an interest in the subject and its future. You don’t need a formal qualification in physics to enjoy some of our membership benefits.
As a member of the IOP you can*:
- Join any of our 48 special interest groups at the heart of the community
- Attend IOP conferences and events with exclusive member rates and grants
- Participate in regional meetings and activities organised by your local branch
- Gain professional registration as a Chartered Physicist and Chartered Engineer
- Stand out with AMInstP, MInstP or FInstP after your name
- Receive tailored career support and guidance through our mentor matching scheme
- Develop key transferable skills with free online courses
- Polish your CV and perfect your interview skills with career tips and techniques guides
- Take control of your professional development with the MyCareerPath online management tool
- Get the latest physics news delivered to your door, mobile device or desktop every month with Physics World magazine
- Interact with professionals through the members only LinkedIn group
- Create your own @physics.org forwarding email address
*Please note that not all services are available to all membership grades. Refer to the relevant membership grades for full details of benefits available.