IOP Institute of Physics

For physics • For physicists • For all

Which chartered status is right for me?

CPhys or CEng?
Chartered Physicist (CPhys) is the qualification awarded by the Institute of Physics to practicing professional physicists.

Many physicists move into engineering at some point in their careers and so the Institute of Physics also offers Chartered Engineer (CEng) to its members.

Deciding which chartered status to go for can be tricky. Bear in mind the following when weighing your options up:

CPhys is for you if…

  • You have a physics degree and have been working in a clearly physics-related field for some time.
  • You have a physics degree and are still working in science.

CEng is for you if…

  • You have a degree in either physics or engineering and are working in a clearly engineering-related field.

Still unsure?
See the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 35 KB), attend a 'Get Chartered' workshop or email