- 1896 AA Popov makes the world’s first radio transmission
- 1965 Spacecraft Ranger 9 broadcasts television images of the moon shortly before crash landing
- 1993 Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 is discovered just over a year before it collides with Jupiter
- 1820 Birth of AE Becquerel, discoverer of the photovoltaic effect, on which solar cells depend
- 1891 Birth of Sergey Ivanovich Vavilov, the co-discoverer of what is now known as Cherenkov radiation – the light produced by a charged particle moving through a dielectric medium faster than the velocity of light in that medium
- 1893 Birth of Walter Baade, the astronomer who first classified stars into distinct groups – Population I or Population II – determined that supernovae were a new, previously unknown class of object and hypothesized the existence of neutron stars
Advanced Digital Imaging Laboratory Using MATLAB®
Listen to the IOP ebooksTM webinar with Professor Leonid Yaroslavsky.
Six months in, and 80% of UK library services sign up to Access to Research
10 million academic articles, including content from IOP Publishing, now included in the initiative.