The annual meeting for teachers of physics in schools and colleges.
The 29th annual meeting for teachers of physics in schools and colleges will be held on 8 June 2017 at Rugby School, Rugby, Warwickshire.
Each year the organising committee, working in cooperation with the education department of the Institute, organises a one-day meeting at Rugby School for teachers of physics in schools and colleges, and teachers in training.
Chair of the organising committee: Dr Andy Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Secretary: Andy Clark (email@example.com)
The 28th annual meeting held on the 9th of June 2016 featured keynote lectures by Dr Ceri Brenner of the Central Laser Facility, Science & Technology Facilities Council entitled “Lasers and Super Exciting Research: it’s all in the name!“ and David Featonby entitled “ What Happens Next?”. The afternoon session consisted of hands-on workshops, providing a wonderful opportunity for teachers not only to pick up new ideas and resources but also offering a platform for discussion and idea sharing.
Here are the presentation and workshop notes from the 2016 meeting.
- Lasers and Super Exciting Research: it’s all in the name! Dr Ceri Brenner, Central Laser Facility, Science & Technology Facilities Council
- What happens next? David Featonby
- Teaching Forces and Motion with Confidence, Dr Andy Davies, Rugby School
- Marsquakes: Seismology on Another Planet, Paul Denton, British Geological Survey
- Saturday Science for Every Day, Neil A. Downie, Air Products/University of Surrey
- Using isaacphysics.org to Support A-Level Learning, Ally Davies, University of Cambridge
- Embedding formative assessment in 11-14 physics teaching, Mary Whitehouse, University of York
- Using Astronomy to Inspire Enquiring Minds, Dr Chris North, Cardiff University
- Improving Gender Balance in the Physics Classroom, Dr Jessica Hamer, Institute of Physics
Here are the presentations and workshop notes from the 2015 meeting:
- What Lies Beneath Talk - Christina Manning
- Nuclear Astrophysics Talk - Zsolt Podolyak
- Active learning through Space Workshop - Andy McMurray
- Good questions workshop - Mary Whitehouse
- Teaching Forces and Motion with Confidence Workshop - Andy Davies
- Teaching Oscillations and Waves with Confidence Workshop - Andy Davies
Full conference fee: £35 (to cover lunch, refreshments and speakers’ expenses)
Discounted conference fee : £30 for IOP members/affiliated schools or colleges
Concessions: £15 for NQTs/trainee teachers