The annual meeting for teachers of physics in schools and colleges.
Each year the organising committee, working in cooperation with the education department of the Institute, organises a one-day meeting at Rugby School for teachers of physics in schools and colleges, and teachers in training.
Chair of the organising committee: Dr Andy Davies (email@example.com)
Secretary: Andy Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The 29th annual meeting for teachers of physics in schools and colleges will be held on 8 June 2017 at Rugby School, Rugby, Warwickshire.
The 28th annual meeting held on the 9th of June 2016 featured keynote lectures by Dr Ceri Brenner of the Central Laser Facility, Science & Technology Facilities Council entitled “Lasers and Super Exciting Research: it’s all in the name!“ and David Featonby entitled “ What Happens Next?”. The afternoon session consisted of hands-on workshops, providing a wonderful opportunity for teachers not only to pick up new ideas and resources but also offering a platform for discussion and idea sharing.
Here are the presentation and workshop notes from the 2016 meeting.
- Lasers and Super Exciting Research: it’s all in the name! Dr Ceri Brenner, Central Laser Facility, Science & Technology Facilities Council
- What happens next? David Featonby
- Teaching Forces and Motion with Confidence, Dr Andy Davies, Rugby School
- Marsquakes: Seismology on Another Planet, Paul Denton, British Geological Survey
- Saturday Science for Every Day, Neil A. Downie, Air Products/University of Surrey
- Using isaacphysics.org to Support A-Level Learning, Ally Davies, University of Cambridge
- Embedding formative assessment in 11-14 physics teaching, Mary Whitehouse, University of York
- Using Astronomy to Inspire Enquiring Minds, Dr Chris North, Cardiff University
- Improving Gender Balance in the Physics Classroom, Dr Jessica Hamer, Institute of Physics
Here are the presentations and workshop notes from the 2015 meeting:
- What Lies Beneath Talk - Christina Manning
- Nuclear Astrophysics Talk - Zsolt Podolyak
- Active learning through Space Workshop - Andy McMurray
- Good questions workshop - Mary Whitehouse
- Teaching Forces and Motion with Confidence Workshop - Andy Davies
- Teaching Oscillations and Waves with Confidence Workshop - Andy Davies
Full conference fee: £35 (to cover lunch, refreshments and speakers’ expenses)
Discounted conference fee : £30 for IOP members/affiliated schools or colleges
Concessions: £15 for NQTs/trainee teachers