Teacher Network Co-ordinator in South Wales
16 Lake Road East
Cardiff CF23 5NN
Part time Physics Teacher at Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni, Bargoed.
I studied physics at the University of Wales Cardiff, graduating in 1992 and then successfully completed the Common Professional Examination in Law before deciding to enter the teaching profession. I followed a PGCE course in Aberystwyth and then moved to Ysgol Gyfun Gwynllyw in Pontypool to teach physics through the medium of Welsh. After 4 years I was appointed Head of Department at Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni where I have been working for 12 years.
Links with other agencies
I am the Regional Field Officer for the Association for Science Education, STEMNET Regional Consultant in Wales and Secretary of the Welsh Scientific Society.
I have a strong interest in encouraging pupils of all levels to develop their abilities in Science by entering a wide range of Physics based competitions:
- International Space School Education Trust - 1st prize - which enabled 4 students to visit a number of NASA centres across the USA.
- ASE. Science Challenge - regional winners.
- EADS Astrium Beagle II competition - 3rd prize.
- Royal Astronomical Society Newspaper competition - 2nd prize.
- Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru / National Eisteddfod - scientific article - 2nd prize
- I entered a team of sixth form pupils in Paperclip Physics every year and was very successful.
I strongly believe that all pupils should have the opportunity to study Science through their chosen language and have taken an active role in developing and translating new resources through the medium of Welsh.
My main aim is to encourage the communication of science in Wales. I hope to attract more physics lectures to the areas and offer practical ideas and support to non-specialist physics teachers. Developing an enthusiastic interest in physics is what I believe a teaching network is all about.
Central workshops I can deliver
Son of new ideas?
Software for skint schools
Lights, camera, images
|Happy to deliver||Shocked and stunned|
What happens next?
Specialist workshops I offer
- Setting up a STEM club
- Make your own Airzooka
- Girls into Physics
- Physics to go!