Teacher Network Coordinator in Cambridgeshire
Teacher of Physics, Netherhall School and 6th Form College, Cambridge
MA in Natural Sciences at Cambridge, followed by PGCE also at Cambridge.
Apart from a two year stint in Italy, I have taught since 1991 in comprehensive schools in Suffolk and Cambridgeshire. For most of this time I have worked as Head of Physics or Head of Science.
After returning from Milan, I decided that I'd like to readjust my work/life balance by dropping the Head of Science role and cutting out my commuting time, in order that I had more time to spend with my family. Since 2005 I have been Teacher of Physics at Netherhall School and Sixth Form College, five minutes from my front door, here in Cambridge.
Links with other agencies
- Cambridge Physics Centre - I've been a committee member for more than ten years
- University of Cambridge Faculty of Education - I have lectured and run practical sessions for Physics PGCE students
- Cavendish Laboratory outreach program - I have run practical INSET Since working at Netherhall, I have also supervised Part II undergraduate students carrying out their Physics Education module
- I am an assistant marker for OCR, I am a member of the ASE and IOP and I have recently been awarded grants by the IOP and the Royal Society for a partnership and public engagement project: Smashing Particles!- let's celebrate the LHC
I am a keen cyclist (commuting, leisure riding and occasional time-trials and long distance rides – I recently completed the Sustrans Hadrian’s Wall Cycle Route).
I also enjoy skiing and walking (preferably in Italy!) in the school holidays.
I love gardening (I do voluntary work growing vegetables with KS1 and KS2 classes at my daughter’s primary school) and enjoy cooking.
I aim to support all Physics Teachers in the local area - students, new teachers, non-specialists teaching physics and the more experienced - from Primary School upwards.
Cambridge has a well deserved reputation as a support centre for teachers of Physics. I wish to build on this strong base.
Central workshops I can deliver
|Happy to deliver||Shocked and stunned|
Son of new ideas?
Software for skint schools
What happens next?
Lights, camera, images
Specialist workshops I offer
- Introduction to the National Schools Observatory
- Encouraging group work