Bristol and Avon
Teacher Network Co-ordinator in Bristol and Avon
16 Lake Road East,
Part time Physics Teacher at Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni, Bargoed.
I studied Physics at the University of Wales Cardiff, graduating in 1992 and then successfully completed the Common Professional Examination in Law before deciding to enter the teaching profession. I followed a PGCE course in Aberystwyth and then moved to Ysgol Gyfun Gwynllyw in Pontypool to teach Physics through the medium of Welsh. After 4 years I was appointed Head of Department at Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni where I have been working for 12 years. (10 years as Head of Department).
Links with other agencies
I am the Regional Field Officer for the Association for Science Education, STEMNET Regional Consultant in Wales and Secretary of the Welsh Scientific Society.
I have a strong interest in encouraging pupils of all levels to develop their abilities in Science by entering a wide range of Physics based competitions:
- International Space School Education Trust - 1st prize - which enabled 4 students to visit a number of NASA centres across the USA.
- ASE. Science Challenge - regional winners.
- EADS Astrium Beagle II competition - 3rd prize.
- Royal Astronomical Society Newspaper competition - 2nd prize.
- I entered a team of sixth form pupils in Paperclip Physics every year and was very successful.
I strongly believe that all pupils should have the opportunity to study Physics take an active role in the promotion of the subject.
My main aim is to encourage the communication of Science. I hope to attract more Physics lectures to the areas and offer practical ideas and support to non-specialist Physics teachers. Developing an enthusiastic interest in Physics by establishing a reliable network of support for physics teachers is what I believe a teaching network is all about.