School Experience Programme
If you’re considering a career in teaching physics, it is important that you spend some time in a school observing physics lessons.
Gaining classroom experience before starting your initial teacher training (ITT) can help you be sure that a career in teaching is right for you. With school experience being a prerequisite for many training providers, it can also support your application for ITT.
The IOP is aware that it is not always easy to gain access to schools. Our School Experience Programme helps to put you in touch with schools that are willing to take on students looking for classroom experience.
The IOP’s School Experience Programme can assist you in finding a school to visit if:
- You are trying to decide whether teaching is for you
- You have already made up your mind and are looking for experience to support your ITT or IOP Teacher Training Scholarship application
Benefits of School Experience:
- Speaking to experienced teachers and staff
- Often people find that the school environment has changed from what they remember during their time at school; getting back into the classroom gives you a better idea of what to expect as a new teacher
- Spending time in a classroom can confirm your desire to teach
- Classroom experience shows tutors that you are taking teaching seriously
- Visiting a school may assist you in securing employment there in the future
What to expect when you register for the programme
We have produced a question and answer sheet to help you understand what to expect from the programme:
School Experience Programme: Guidance for Participants (PDF, 90 KB)
Register your interest
Simply complete the form below to register your interest and we will give you the details of schools in your area that have signed up to the programme. If you are a returning teacher looking to gain experience back in the classroom, please complete our SEP for returning teachers form.
If you are a school that's interested in helping with our SEP, you can register here.