School Experience Programme
If you’re considering a career in teaching physics, it is important that you spend some time in a school observing physics lessons.
Gaining classroom experience before starting initial teacher training (ITT) will help you be sure that a career in teaching is right for you. School experience is a prerequisite for many training providers, it can also support your application for ITT.
We know that it’s not always easy to gain access to schools. Our School Experience Programme puts you in touch with schools that are willing to take on students looking for classroom experience.
Benefits of School Experience
- Speaking to experienced teachers and staff
- Often people find that the school environment has changed since their time at school; getting back into the classroom gives you a better idea of what to expect as a new teacher
- Spending time in a classroom can confirm your desire to teach
- Classroom experience shows tutors that you are taking teaching seriously
- Visiting a school may assist you in securing employment there in the future
What to expect when you register for the programme
We’ve produced a Q&A sheet to help you understand what to expect from the programme: School Experience Programme: Guidance for Participants