Are you eligible?
If you have the academic and personal qualities that will enable you to excel in the world of physics education we urge you to apply.
It is crucial that you read the following eligibility criteria carefully before you apply for a scholarship. If in doubt, please contact us on 020 7470 4959 or email@example.com before you submit your application.
To apply for a scholarship you will need to:
- Have a physics, engineering or mathematics degree, or have a conditional offer for university-led or school-led (non-salaried) teacher training subject to completing a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course in physics
- Have an excellent, proven (or predicted) relevant academic record with a first or 2.1 degree; or hold a PhD or master’s degree or recognised equivalent. If you have a 2.2 degree we will consider your application if you can demonstrate significant physics-related industrial experience
- Have an excellent understanding of school-level physics
- Have an excellent ability to explain physics ideas at school-level
- Have an interest in physics education
- Possess the qualities required to be an inspirational teacher of physics
- By September 2015 secure your training place on an eligible university-led or school-led (non-salaried) physics or physics with maths course in England for the 2015/16 academic year
- Be eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company
- Meet the bursary eligibility criteria as set out in the National College for Teaching and Leadership's bursary guidance
The criteria for funding of scholarships matches the criteria set by the Department for Education for all training bursary funding.
You will need to be qualified as a home student for the purpose of paying tuition fees by your training provider. One way in which you can be classified as a home student is by having been resident in the UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the past three years and having the right to live in the UK or EEA without any visa restrictions.
Further information about eligibility criteria, or other ways in which you can qualify as a home student can be found here.
It is advisable to apply for your training course as early as possible so that you can get a definite answer from your training provider on whether you are eligible to take up a training place.
Click on the button below to apply for a scholarship.
Please note, if your application is shortlisted you will be expected to attend an Assessment Day in February.
There will be further application rounds throughout the academic year so keep an eye on our website for the most up-to-date information. If you are awarded a scholarship it will replace the government bursary you will receive. It is not an additional award. You can apply for a scholarship before or after you have submitted your application for initial teacher education.