Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for students regarding the IOP's 'Top 40' work placements scheme
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before making an enquiry or applying to the Scheme as by applying for it you will be deemed to have agreed to them.
- Penultimate year undergraduate physics students, including mature students, studying at a higher education institution in the UK or Ireland are eligible to apply
- Students must carry out their placements during the summer vacation before starting their final year
- Students must be studying on an accredited or recognised physics degree course (PDF, 90 KB) and be members of the IOP.
If you are not already a member of the IOP, see our membership section
- Students must provide evidence of a placement in the form of an original letter from an organisation confirming their placement, the only condition of which shall be the securing of the funding
- Students can only receive funding if the organisation is not funding them
- Bursaries shall not be awarded to students for projects that are part of their degree requirements
- Placements must be carried out in the business or industry sector in the UK or Ireland
Conditions of award
- Bursaries must be used exclusively for the purpose set out in the application
- If students fail to complete all eight weeks of their placement for any reason, they must promptly return to the Institute a pro rata element of the bursary
- Students must write a weekly blog about their experience, and provide a case study about their placement. The Institute will be entitled to use the content of that blog and case study as it wishes, in its absolute discretion
last edited: May 14, 2013