Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for employers regarding the IOP's 'Top 40' work placements scheme
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before making an enquiry or applying to the Scheme as by applying for it you will be deemed to have agreed to them.
Nature of the scheme
The purpose of the Scheme is to give penultimate year undergraduate physics students the opportunity to gain work experience in a business environment. Each student will receive a bursary of £2,000, or the equivalent in euros for the Republic of Ireland, for the duration of their placement (£250 per week), for a period of eight weeks. The bursaries should not create any National Insurance contribution liability in themselves but it shall be the responsibility of the student to obtain advice on their specific circumstances.
Terms and conditions for employers
The Institute of Physics Work Placements Scheme (the “Scheme”) intends to provide 40 students with the opportunity to gain real work experience. Successful applicants will each receive a bursary of £2000 to cover the duration of their eight week summer vacation placement.
Organisations participating in the Scheme shall:
- be based in the UK or Ireland
- be required to provide a safe and legally compliant working environment for their work placement student(s). This shall include, but not be limited to, taking full responsibility for the health and safety of the students and ensuring that there is adequate insurance in place to cover the student
- provide a structured work placement scheme for student(s) which is relevant to their university course
- read the publication, Common best practice code for high-quality internships (PDF, 573 KB)
- not exceed the 8 week work placement unless the organisation accepts the responsibility for funding the student(s) for additional weeks at not less than £250 per week
- acknowledge the Institute in any publication (written or electronic), posters, or presentations about the Scheme, and in any related newspaper article or radio or television programme. Standard wording to be used to acknowledge the Institute shall be agreed in writing with the Institute in advance, with any future material variations also being agreed
last edited: October 01, 2012