Frequently asked questions
- How do I find a placement?
There are two ways of doing this:
- Find your own placement, by speaking to your university careers advisers or placements officer, who should have a list of employers you could approach. They will also provide guidance and support for putting together your application form.
- Visit our placement opportunities page which contains a list of employers who wish to participate in this scheme. Follow the instructions on how to apply for these placements
- How do I apply?
Once you’ve found your placement, you will need to follow the application process set out in our students section
- If I am applying to an employer listed as participating in this scheme, do I need to submit a separate application form to the IOP?
No, because the employer will contact the IOP if you are successful. However, it is your responsibility to make sure that you meet the terms and conditions set out by the IOP
- Can I apply for a work placement scheme in a university research department?
No, the bursaries are for penultimate year students seeking work placements in business or industry. However, the IOP has teamed up with the Nuffield Foundation to fund short summer research placements
- Can I submit more than one application?
Yes, but if you’re successful you will only receive funding for one placement
- What type of businesses can I apply to?
Physics graduates are employed across all sectors of the economy, so we encourage you to apply to any businesses, in sectors in which you wish to gain work experience
- I cannot receive a confirmation letter for my placement unless an offer of funding is in place?
In this instance please ask the employer to call the Careers Manager on +44(0)20 7470 4800 and they will come to an arrangement. However, this doesn’t guarantee you a placement
- Will there be an interview process conducted by the IOP?
No, the panel will review and judge each application according to the information provided
- Can I receive payment from the IOP and my employer?
No, you not are eligible to apply for funding if your employer is willing to fund your placement
- There are 39 bursaries already listed allocated to employers. I have not applied to any of the companies listed on the website but have found my own employer and submitted my application directly to the IOP. Does this mean that I won’t receive a bursary?
The scheme has proven very successful in working directly with employers. To ensure that students who have secured placements on their own are not disadvantaged, we have increased the number of bursaries available. If your application is successful you will be notified shortly.
- The scheme is now closed. When will I hear if I am successful?
It will take 2 – 3 weeks for the committee and employers to review the applications, so you should hear by mid-May.