Women in Physics History
This is the history page for the Women in Physics Group.
Here you will find information on the ICWIP (International Conference on Women in Physics), as well as other historical data for the group. You will also find information on women physicists both past and present. Please let us know if there is anything else you would like to see within these pages.
Women in Physics Group heritage
The Women in Physics Group of the Institute of Physics had several incarnations before settling into its current group status.
- May 1985 – There was a Women in Physics Subcommittee of the Education Department.
- 1986 – Survey of women members of the IOP was carried out and a list of women members’ names published.
- 3rd October 1987 – First informal meeting of Women in Physics was held.
- March 1988 – Newsletter produced for Women in Physics.
- October 1989 – The Women in Physics Committee set up which reported directly to Council via the Executive Secretary.
- January 1995 – The Women in Physics Group became a professional group of the IOP and the Advisory Committee to the IOP Executive was formed (from which the current Diversity and Inclusion Committee evolved).
- 24th June 1996 – The first Women in Physics Group AGM was held.
- March 1997 – First Women in Physics Group newsletter published.