Particle Accelerators and Beams Group
The Particle Accelerators and Beams (PAB) Group is a subject group in the Institute of Physics (IOP), affiliated to both the Nuclear and Particle Physics Division and the Applied Physics and Technology Division of the Institute.
We aim to promote the professional standing of workers in the field of particle accelerators, through exposure, events, outreach and increased academic profile. Collaboration and interdisciplinary working are encouraged, both across discipline and between the public and private sector, and to this end the group maintains a directory of members’ expertise which includes:
- Theory, research and design
- Teaching and training
- Technical and operational
- Industrial and Commercial
The Group’s interest areas include, but are not restricted to, the following topics:
- Accelerator technology, including magnets, pulsed power, and radio-frequency systems
- Advanced concepts for accelerators
- Applications of accelerators, especially medical and industrial
- Beam dynamics, including electrodynamics
- Circular colliders
- Control systems and accelerator operation
- High energy hadron accelerators
- Instrumentation for accelerators
- Low energy accelerators, including electrostatic, linear, and cyclotron accelerators
- Lepton accelerators, both electron and muon/neutrino
- Synchrotron radiation light sources, including free-electron lasers
- Particle sources for accelerators
The Particle Accelerators and Beams Group welcomes all members of the Institute involved in this topic to become members of this Group.
The Group organises a number of meetings each year, including an Annual Meeting, and topical meetings to aid progress in particular subjects of interest. Although these meetings are open to the community, significant discounts are available to Institute members, and student bursaries are available.
The Group arranges training for new workers in the field in partnership with UK and international bodies. In particular, we organise an annual summer school, the first of which will be held in 2010.
The Group awards several prizes to recognize contribution to the field of particle accelerators, nominated by Group members:
- An annual Thesis Prize, awarded at the annual Group meeting
- An award for outstanding contribution to the field by a UK individual
The PAB Group publishes a regular newsletter, and encourages Group members to publicise items of interest to the community.