Be at the heart of the physics community by joining one of the Institute’s member-led Groups.
Joining a group is the means for you as a member to be part of the physics community and to take part in activities in your particular areas of interest.
The Institute has around 50 groups that cover a wide range of subjects including:
- specialist areas of physics research and its application, such as the High Energy Particle Physics Group or Plasma Physics Group
- professional aspects of physicists working in industry, such as the Nuclear Industry Group
- wider issues that relate to physics and society like the Higher Education Group or Physics Communicators Group
- some groups are organised jointly with other societies with similar interests, for example the Polymer Physics Group is a joint group with the Royal Society of Chemistry
What do groups do?
Groups have individual programmes, reflecting the needs of their members. Their activities include:
- arranging conferences, seminars and workshops for their members and others
- producing newsletters to keep their members in touch with the latest developments in their field
- promoting interaction between physicists working in industry and research, providing opportunities for networking and a forum for meeting and discussion
- awarding bursaries to help research students attend conferences via the Research Student Conference Fund
- providing information on relevant meetings organised by other bodies
- awarding prizes in their area
Any queries regarding IOP Groups should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.