Be at the heart of the physics community by joining one of the Institute’s member-led groups.
Joining a group feeds your passion for physics and allows you to play a pivotal role in the physics community. Groups enable you to take part in activities in your particular areas of interest and to share and receive expert advice on developments in your sector. Visit the IOP blog to find out why joining a group could benefit your career.
The Institute has 48 groups that cover a wide range of subjects. Full list of groups can be found here.
Why join a group?
Groups build a strong community, enabling you to make connections and engage in thought-provoking discussions. As part of a group you will have opportunities to advance and drive the physics discipline forward, as well as a way of developing personal and professional relationships.
What do groups do?
Groups have individual programmes, reflecting the needs of their members. Their activities include:
- Arranging conferences, seminars and workshops for their members and others
- Producing newsletters to keep their members in touch with the latest developments in their field
- Promoting interaction between physicists working in industry and research, providing opportunities for networking and a forum for meeting and discussion
- Awarding bursaries to help research students attend conferences via the Research Student Conference Fund
- Providing information on relevant meetings organised by other bodies
- Awarding prizes in their area
How do I join a group?
To join a group you need to be a member of the IOP. You can find out more about the different member grades and how to join on our membership pages.
If you are already an IOP member then you can join a group through the MyIOP membership portal. Select ‘change my groups’ from the option on the left menu. There is no limit to the number of groups you can join and there is no fee.
If you have any queries regarding IOP groups please email email@example.com or call 020 7470 4860