The full terms of reference of the Disciplinary Committee are set out in the Regulations.
The Disciplinary Committee examines cases where a member of the Institute or other person or body has laid a complaint against a member or has alleged that such member has acted in contravention of the Bylaws.
Under the provisions of Bylaw 17, the Council delegates to the Disciplinary Committee the following powers:
- To expel or suspend any member from membership
- To remove any member from the register of Chartered Physicists
- To reprimand any member
- To call for a written undertaking from any member as to their future conduct
- To issue a written warning. Such warnings would be entered on to the member’s database record and would remain there for a period of 2 years.
- To advise the Register of Chartered Engineers and the Register of Chartered Scientists of its decisions (this would not be done until the final outcome of the proceedings, including any appeal, is known).
- To dismiss a complaint and refund any reasonable direct costs incurred by the member in defending themselves.
- To direct that a statement recording the exercise of any of the above powers shall be entered on the membership record of the member (this would not be done until the final outcome of the proceedings, including any appeal, is known).
- Chair: Vice-President, Membership & Qualifications
- Members: Not less than 3 and not more than 7 members appointed by Council from the corporate membership of the Institute. (No members of Council sit on the Disciplinary Committee with the exception of the Vice-President, Membership & Qualifications.)
- Secretary: Director, Membership & Business