There are five Ordinary Member vacancies on Council arising on 1 October 2014. Nominations should be received no later than 1 April 2014.
Council, as the Board of Trustees, has ultimate responsibility for directing the affairs of the Institute, and ensuring that it is solvent, well-run, and delivering the charitable outcomes for the benefit of the public for which it has been set up.
The role of Council can be summarised as follows:
- Ensuring that the Institute complies with its governing documents, charity law, and other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that the Institute pursues its objects as set out in the Royal Charter
- Ensuring that the Institute applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Ensuring proper and effective use of the Institute’s resources, and maintaining and enhancing the reputation and profile of the Institute
- Ensuring effective representation of and interaction with the membership
- Overseeing the processes for election, progression and disciplining of members
- Overseeing the activities of the Executive
- Safeguarding the good name and ethos of the Institute.
Council can generally delegate certain powers, but will and must always retain the ultimate responsibility for running the Institute. Given the size of the Institute and its many activities, Council has delegated some powers to standing committees, thus ensuring that the required time and attention is applied to overseeing specific areas of interest. These specific delegations are set out in the relevant committee terms of references.
The Institute is governed by Council which consists of at least 17 (currently 18) members elected from, and by, the corporate membership, and up to 3 co-opted members who are appointed by Council itself.
The membership of Council, along with the terms of office of members, is set out in the Bylaws.
|Position||Term of office|
|The President||Two years, not eligible for re-election|
|The President-elect||Two years, then takes office as President|
|At least three Vice-Presidents||Four years, not eligible for re-election for one year after retirement|
|The Honorary Secretary||Four years, eligible for re-election for second term|
|The Honorary Treasurer||Four years, eligible for re-election for second term|
|Ten ordinary members||Four years, not eligible for re-election for one year after retirement|
|Up to three Co-opted Members||One year, eligible to be renewed annually for up to three years|
The Chief Executive and members of the Executive Board attend Council meetings. Other members of staff may be invited to attend.
Council Membership 2013 – 2014
|President||Dr Frances Saunders||2012||2015|
|President-elect||Professor Roy Sambles +||2013||2017|
|Honorary Secretary||Professor Stuart Palmer||2009||2017|
|Honorary Treasurer||Professor Julian Jones||2011||2015|
|Vice-president, Membership||Dr Mike Worboys||2013||2017|
|Vice-president, Education||Mr Philip Britton||2012||2016|
|Vice-president, Business||Professor Alison McMillan||2012||2016|
|Vice-president, Science||Professor Tom McLeish||2012||2016|
|Ordinary Member||Mr Graham Bone||2010||2014|
|Ordinary Member||Professor James Hough||2011||2015|
|Ordinary Member||Professor Gordon Love||2010||2014|
|Ordinary Member||Dr David McPhail||2010||2014|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Vladimir Vishnyakov||2010||2014|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Steven Watt||2010||2014|
|Ordinary Member||Mrs Mary Whitehouse||2011||2015|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Barbara Gabrys||2013||2017|
|Ordinary Member||Dr Michael Duncan||2013||2017|
|Ordinary Member||Professor John Zarnecki||2013||2017|
|Co-opted Member||Mr Kevin Gell||2011||2014|
|Co-opted Member||Dr Ade Ogunsola||2011||2014|
|Co-opted Member||Mr Geoff McFarland||2012||2015|