How to enter
The Best Practice in Professional Development Awards are now open for entries. Closing date for entries is 30 June 2016.
The purpose of the awards is to draw attention to the best practice training of physicists within companies, delivered largely through the effective use of the company's training resources. The award reflects the emphasis on physicists rather than all employees.
The essential criteria that must be demonstrated in a submission are:
- Producing a formal career path for employees, such as a structured training scheme and career planning tools
- Encouraging professional development for staff (Chartered Status) and the use of training plans, through quality measures such as Investors in People, and schemes being in place for providing guidance, coaching and mentoring for staff
In addition, the following criteria may also form part of a submission. These criteria are not intended to be prescriptive; the intention is that companies should also be rewarded for innovative development solutions that may not appear in the list:
- Promoting wellbeing and a healthy work-life balance
- Establishing a process for recognising individual staff members' specific skills
- Providing a platform for staff to contribute to company practice, procedures and future plans
- Supporting and encouraging employees to participate in seminars, contribute to journals, attend conferences, outreach events, secondments and placements etc
Note that, with the exception of the first bulleted point under essential criteria, none of these relate purely to the initial professional development phase - the award is meant to refer to the training and development of all physicists at all stages in their career.
Click here for guidelines and application form