Physics is central to our society. The Institute of Physics aims to advance physics for the benefit of all.
- 1910 Earth passes through the tail of Halley's Comet
- 1958 A world airspeed record of 1404 miles per hour is set by an F104 Starfighter jet
- 1969 Apollo 10 is launched as part of the programme aimed at sending humans to the moon
- 1974 India conducts a successful nuclear weapon test, making it the world's sixth known nuclear power
- 2005 Images from the Hubble Space Telescope show that Pluto has two more moons, Nix and Hydra, in addition to its largest satellite Charon
- Institute of Physics Blog
The IOP blog highlights daily global physics news and features a closer look at some of the IOP's activities from outreach programmes and national and regional involvement to our international partnerships and interesting research developments.
- Teaching Advanced Physics
The Teaching Advanced Physics (TAP) website contains detailed ideas and resources for teaching physics to students aged 16-19.
- Winners of the Journal of Physics A Best Paper Prize announced
Congratulations to the winners of Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical's Best Paper Prize 2012.
- Impact Factor success
The 2011 Impact Factors published by Thomson Reuters, once again show significant growth for many of the journals published by IOP Publishing.