- 1878 The gramophone (or phonograph) is patented by Thomas Edison
- 2002 The Mars Odyssey probe begins mapping the planet’s surface
- 1986 The Mir space station is launched by the Soviet Union
- 1473 Birth of Nicolaus Copernicus, the astronomer known for his heliocentric model of the solar system
- 1941 Birth of David Gross, the particle physicist awarded the 2004 Nobel Prize along with Frank Wilczek and David Politzer for their discovery of asymptotic freedom – a feature of quantum chromodynamics in which interactions between particles become weak at high energy
Advanced Digital Imaging Laboratory Using MATLAB®
Listen to the IOP ebooksTM webinar with Professor Leonid Yaroslavsky.
Six months in, and 80% of UK library services sign up to Access to Research
10 million academic articles, including content from IOP Publishing, now included in the initiative.